Quick Career Synopsis in Bullet Points
Please download my complete resume by using any of the links at the left at your convenience. To give you a quick overview, here are the bullet points of the career of R. Michael Johnson - a career in professional journalism and marketing spanning nearly three decades. The list is decending from most recent.
• Founding Owner, Publisher and Editor - Bloomfield Publishing, Inc. - The Bloomfield Free Press was a 2,000-circulation weekly newspaper in Bloomfield, Indiana. Also included in the company was a commercial printing operation and news website.
• Communications Manager, Promotional/Pre-publication Services Manager - AuthorHouse (a division of Author Solutions, Inc.) - The multi-national company is the nation's largest supplier of services for the self-published author.
• Editor and General Manager - Bloomfield Evening World, a daily newspaper with a companion weekly in Bloomfield, Indiana (now defunct).
• Marketing/Media Relations Manager - World Leader Marine Enterprises (dba Sumerset Custom Houseboats), a luxury houseboat manufacturer in Somerset, Kentucky (now defunct).
• Editor/Group Editor - Somerset (Kentucky) Commonwealth Journal. Also served as group editor for six daily and multi-weekly Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. publications in Kentucky.
• Executive Editor/Co-Publisher - Coshocton (Ohio) Tribune, a 15,000-circulation, seven-day daily newspaper. At the time, it was owned by Thomson Newspapers.
• Editor - Mineral Daily News-Tribune - Keyser, West Virginia, a 5,000-circulation six-day family-owned daily on the West Virginia/Maryland border.
• Editor/Senior Group Editor - Clinton (Illinois) Daily Journal, a 4,000-circulation five-day daily in Clinton, Illinois. Also served as Editor for the Alamosa (Colorado) Valley Courier, a 3,500-circulation five-day daily. At the same time, I was senior editor for NewsMedia Corp., an Illinois-based newspaper group with 32 daily and non-daily publications throughout the Midwest and West.
• Assistant City Editor - Asheboro (North Carolina) Courier-Tribune, a 22,000-circulation seven-day daily owned at the time by Donrey Media.
• Crime and Court Reporter - Newark (Ohio) Advocate, a 20,000-circulation seven-day daily owned at the time by Thomson Newspapers.
• General Assignment Reporter - Bellefontaine (Ohio) Examiner, a 12,500-circulation six-day family-owned daily.
• Weekly Editor/Reporter - Jackson Center (Ohio) Record, a now-defunct 3,000 circulation free weekly. At the same time, served as a reporter for the Wapakoneta (Ohio) Daily News - the weekly's parent.
• Photographer/Sportswriter - Piqua (Ohio) Daily Call, a 12,000-circulation six-day daily owned by Thomson Newspapers.